May 21, 2012

From Photographer to Client

We've all heard that doctors make the worst patients, teachers make the worst students and well photographers make the worst clients. I was determined that I was going to be the best client in the world :) I was also determined not to stress out and try to have fun with our family photo session. That part was easier said than done - it's a mother's instict to stress out and make sure everything is perfect for her family's photos together. I decided that I would take some photos (using my iPhone) and document the process I took while getting ready for our photos. Sit back and enjoy and maybe you will learn something that will help you for your upcoming family session with Memories & Blessings Photography.

1. The Week Before

I have a closet in my hallway that I always hang our outfits up on the week before photos. This helps me visualize if everyone's outfits coordinate and also allows me to see them every day, several times a day. If at any time I don't like them hanging up on the door frame of the closet - chances are I'm not going to like them in the photos hanging on my walls. A question I get all the time is "what should we wear?". I like to take one piece of clothing with multiple colors in it and then coordinate every one else around that one piece of clothing. For this session, I fell in love with Brianna's skirt. I loved the rainbow of colors. Once I found her skirt, I put everyone else in a solid shirt and blue jean on the bottom.


2. The Day Before

The day before our session, I decided to pack a bag of things I knew I would need so I wouldn't have to worry about it the day of the session. In this bag I included diaper wipes, kleenex and diapers. Also, included were any props I wanted to use in our photos. Props are awesome! All photographers love when the family brings their own props. It makes your photos more you and makes them completely unique. I took along some bubbles, a book and two of my kids favorite things - a baby doll and Mickey Mouse. Also included in this bag was a little snack for Brianna. I knew she would want something to eat (she always does, lol). Make sure it's nothing that can make them messy - I wouldn't take oreos if I were you ;)




3. The Day of the Session

This is the day you'll be the most stressed! Try to relax and go with the flow. Make it just a normal day with the kids except really make the photos sound exciting. I told Eli all day that we were going to get to go to a park and we were all going to say "cheese" and show Mrs. Leah our pretty smiles. Tell them my name before hand. Maybe show them my photo on the Memories & Blessings' Facebook page. If they know my name and what I look like they may not be as shy once they meet me in person for the first time. The most important thing about the day of the session is try and get your kids to take a nap. Thankfully, although Eli is going through a no-nap phase, I was able to get him to go to sleep which made a big difference during our session. A sleepy and grumpy kid does not want to smile and make pretty pictures :)


As you're traveling to the session remember, make the session seem really exciting! Make the kids think you're going to do something really fun. After all, it only happens maybe a couple of times a year. It's a special event! This is also the time you want to "bribe" or "threaten" your family, lol. Just kidding. Although, a little bribing goes a long way! After our session we were going to go to a cupcake shop - this made Eli very excited! So as we were going through our session if he didn't want to smile we just reminded him of the cupcake he was going to get at the end and a big smile would appear!

4. The Session

All you have to do is smile and help control your kiddoes! Let the photographer do all the work. Have fun with your family! Just enjoy each other's company. Once your session is over you may feel like there is no  way on Earth that you will receive any good photos. I promise 98% of the time you will get atleast a few good shots! No matter how bad your kids were, lol. My Brianna didn't want to cooperate about 20 minutes after we started. She was already over it and she is such a wiggle worm we had a hard time holding her and getting her to look at the camera. Don't sweat it! The photographer has done this before! They've shot a session with wiggly kids - they're not worried about it and neither should you! Don't stress out or everyone around you will begin to stress as well.

5. The Days after the Session - The Waiting Game

This is the hardest part about your session. Waiting to see your images! I know I checked Facebook every 5 minutes this past weekend looking for some previews from our session. You're excited, anxious and a little scared, lol. Once you see those sneak peaks you have some relief. You know that you will get some great photos. You know all the stress and work planning out everything will be worth it! Here are some of our sneak previews from the talented Leah of Leah Nicole Photo.




Some Random Thoughts -

1. Go with the flow! If it can go wrong it probably will. The week of our session, Brianna got a spider bite that got infected and a bruise on her cheek. Most of the time, minor scrapes and bruises can be edited out if you want. So no worries!

2. The weather! As we were driving to our session it began to rain. Thankfully, it was just a quick shower and we were able to continue with our photos. If it's due to weather, let the photographer be the one to call you and reschedule your session. If you don't hear from Me - show up for your session :)

3. Have fun! I know I've said it over and over but it's true. If you're having fun it will show through in your images.



1 comment:

  1. Oh girl...very well put!! No kid is every perfect! Thank goodness that although photographers make the worst clients when having their pics made, we also make the best photographers bc we know how stressed mommas get when they have their babies act crazy during a photo session! :)

    ReplyDelete