May 24, 2012

God is Still in the Miracle Business

I had the opportunity to meet and photograph the Jones family a few weeks back. I had no idea what their story was but was in awe of God's goodness when Sarah shared a little bit of what it took to get this little baby into their family. I asked Sarah if she would share her story with all of you. She graciously said she would love to and as I read her email tears came to my eyes. What an awesome story of how great our God is and that he still performs miracles every day! Enjoy and be blessed by the Jones' story and leave a congratulatory comment for the family!


The Baby We Prayed For
By: Sarah Jones
When my husband, Wes, and I got married in July 2008 we had our “plan” figured out.  I was lucky enough to immediately become a step-mother to McKenzie, who was 9 years old when we got married.  Wes and I both loved children, and knew we wanted to have a large family.  We made plans, and just knew we would have 2 more children pretty quickly.
 I thought that marrying young would guarantee my being a young mother – something I’d always dreamed of. When we started trying to conceive, I would count down the days (and sometimes the hours) until my next period was expected & it was frequently late – sometimes two weeks late. Every time I got my period, I saw it as a new beginning, a new opportunity to finally become pregnant. But I didn’t. It was so clear to me that nothing could be wrong. I was young, I was healthy...
 Most of the tests were fine, but about two months into the testing, I got back one of the results. I knew it was bad. I was 23 years old, married to my best friend, hearing that I would never be able to get pregnant because of Endometriosis. The doctor explained the results to me and said he was very pessimistic. I stood there crying and then I gathered myself together as best I could and went to work. I wasn't able to think of anything else the whole day.
I was 23 years old, watching my dreams shatter right before my eyes as I was battling very real fertility problems. I felt very isolated. I immediately began Googling everything I could…trying to gather information. I read everything I could get my hands on.
 In October 2009, I had my first surgery performed by a Reproductive Endocrinologist. She told me that they cleaned out as much Endometriosis as they could, but we would only have a very short window to try and get pregnant.  We tried various medications, none with any results. After the medications, we started IUI (intra-uterine insemination) and signed up for adoption. I hated the IUI, found it painful, torturous, and not particularly hopeful.  After a few cycles, even the doctors began to give up again. 
They scheduled me for another surgery, which took place in July 2010, and revealed that my Endometriosis had progressed and was a lot worse.  During that surgery they had to remove 10 inches of my bowel, because the endometriosis had attacked my bowel.  After the surgery I remember lying in the hospital bed, as the doctor looked and me and said “You need to have a hysterectomy, your endometriosis is so aggressive. I have never seen anything this severe in such a young girl.”  I stared in my husband, crying my eyes out in disbelief.  I was 24 years old, and there was NO way I was having a hysterectomy, and giving up my dream of becoming pregnant. I had to spend several days in the hospital, and take 6 weeks off work to recover from the surgery.  In September 2010, I went to see another doctor, for a second opinion.  He was a fabulous doctor, very thorough, and most of all a very Christian man.  He encouraged me not to give up, and reminded me that although he would do everything in his power to help me get pregnant, the real power was in the hands of the Man upstairs.  Hearing those words reminded me, that God is really in charge, and sometimes we have to remember that He has our PLAN, not us!  He completed multiple ultrasounds, and a dye test to check my tubes.  In January 2011, we signed up to do IVF. On January 20, 2011 at 8: 15 AM we went in for my Egg retrieval The doctor was able to retrieve 13 eggs and 7 fertilized normally. Our odds were pretty good, and we were very excited.  On January 25, 2011 we had 2 embryos transferred; 2 expanded blastocysts 5AA and 5AA. These were VERY high rated embryos, and the doctor was so optimistic that we would be pregnant! On February 2, 2011, one day before by 25th birthday, I went in to the doctor’s office for my blood test to see if the IVF cycle had worked!  I received a call from my doctor later that day, as I was driving home from work informing me that my pregnancy test was negative.  I was devastated.  I remember him telling me “This was the best cycle I have seen in a long time, and I just don’t know why it didn’t work.  I sent the sample back to the lab 3 times to be rechecked, but you are not pregnant. “ I was barely able to drive the rest of the way home, my dreams were shattered. Our bank account was empty, and I could not bear the thought of enduring any more attempts at becoming pregnant. 
 We knew we had 3 embryos frozen, but I was so crushed I knew trying to become pregnant…was OVER for me.  We experienced several emotions over the next few months, and seldom even talked about our failed attempts to become pregnant.  We coped with our anger, and finally realized that God had a plan.  We were blessed to have 3 children in our home, and although my dreams of becoming pregnant were disappearing, we knew we far too blessed to hold on to the anger.
 Although I say that I gave up all hope of becoming pregnant one day, I know in my heart, I still dreamed about a miracle happening.  Our favorite Bible verse was and still is Jeremiah 29; 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” We have that verse posted on various things around our home, and I carry it in my wallet.  We knew we had to trust God’s plan. 
 Football season started up in August, and things quickly got busy.  Thoughts of becoming pregnant were way out of my mind.  I had an appointment scheduled with the doctor
in November, just to check on everything, but Wes and I already decided we were DONE with fertility stuff. 
 On November 2, 2011  Wes went to work, and I headed to the doctor for my checkup.  While I was there they did some blood work, took a urine sample, and asked lots of questions.  I was very clear with them that I did not want to do anything else in regards to fertility.  The nurse came back into my exam room with a perplexed look on her face.  She said “When was your last period?”  I had my calendar, so I looked down at it, and said “Sometime in September…not really sure, since they are always irregular, I don’t even keep track of them anymore.”  She then said “Have you taken a pregnancy test, because I think your cycle is late?” I explained to the nurse that I would never take another pregnancy test in my life because I had spent too much money on pregnancy tests and fertility stuff, and been hurt way too many times, she seemed to understand, so she just asked me to pee in another cup, but didn’t really say what she was doing.  A few minutes later she came back into the room, with a small stick and handed it to me.  I said “What is this for? What does this mean?” She said “You are PREGNANT!”  I argued with her for a few minutes, because I knew that it was not possible.  Wes and I had not even been talking about trying to become pregnant, and truthfully I felt like it was an impossible feat nonetheless.   I met with the doctor, they did some blood work, and sure enough my HCG was HCG 3549 and my Progesterone 14.3. I was pregnant.  Everyone in the office was in just as much shock as I was, and kept asking me if I was going to call my husband.  I just laughed, and explained that I probably should not just call him…because he would not believe me.  I finally left the doctor’s office, and called him.  He teaches and coaches at Hardin Valley Academy.  It was playoff week for football, and he was preparing for a BIG game.  I explained to him that I wanted to stop by and bring him something for good luck.  He seemed like that would be okay, and kept insisting that I just drop it off in the front office.  Finally I explained that it was way too BIG (haha) and he must meet me at the field house.  He agreed, and I drove straight there.  With tears in my eyes, I got out of the car…hugged him and said the words I had dreamed of sharing with him for years “We are pregnant.”  He was in just as much shock as me, and for months and months we lived on pins and needles, in fear of something going wrong.   The only person we can credit is God.  This baby boy in my belly is truly a miracle.  During our infertility trials, we were told numerous times that I would never be able to get pregnant.  I lived in shock for months, and sometimes despite my HUGE belly…I still look in the mirror in total shock!  Later this month, we will be welcoming to our family, our little miracle baby boy.  Our 3 children, McKenzie ( age 13), Janiyiah (age 5 awaiting adoption) , and Marcus (age 2; adopted 3/2011) are SO excited about having a new baby brother.
 When I look back at the last several years, and read Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future,“ tears come to my eyes every time, because I know God was watching over me, and my family…and HIS plan is PERFECT!













*20 Comments = a FREE 5x7 Photo*

5 comments:

  1. This is incredibly heart touching! To see God's work right in front of you is beyond beautiful! Congratulations to the Jones family!!! I have a feeling this little boy is going to know how special he is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome story about our awesome God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story! I have grown up with this family and I know what a blessing this baby is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, This is a beautiful story. I have known you for several years but did not know the details of your pregnancy. God has definitely blessed you with this precious baby boy. He has also blessed you two adoptions. This is amazing. I loved reading your story and I feel so inspired by it. May God bless you and your family and give you a healthy and easy birth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a story! One of my greatest struggles as a Christian is turning everything over to God and trusting Him to work each thing out in HIS time and way. Jeremiah 29:11 is one of my favorite verses, too, and this story was a sweet reminder (as I've been stressing about graduating law school in less than a year) that HE is in control and that everything will work according to His will. :)
    Thank you for sharing your initimate story with us! The pics are great!...and congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete